Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Impression of Writing 2: Write Harder

A year has passed since I had written my first impression on writing and I think I had made progress on the faults I had detailed. The major points I used last year are still applicable today. I want my writing to convey my personality and my style of writing to be easy to comprehend to the layman. My vocabulary is probably around the same as of last year and I'd like to expand that further this year to prepare for college. I've fixed most of my ranting issues if I had several drafts to go through so that I realize I was ranting and I seemed to have made my writing more fluid. A problem that I noticed I had last year was to start to appeal to emotions. I have the logic and seem to have most of the organization down, but when I'm writing persuasive essays I can't seem to grasp readers' emotions. I guess that can be attributed to my apathy. After going through Pre-Calculus last year, my informational essays have become more clear and cut as I digest the information then convey it to the reader on paper. To prepare for the major essays coming up these next two semester, I'll follow the set-up we had learned next year. I'll start with the outline then move onto a rough draft. I'll do a peer-review with a helpful person then finalize my draft.

I don't really have any questions about English 101/102 but I do fear my writing will be insufficient as the year goes on. I don't seem to adapt as quickly as I want so jumping from essay to essay of different subjects may be a tad jarring to me. I personally think I can do well with the informational, non-fiction essay but the rest might be a tad foreign to me. I am also taking several other courses that will require essays so I hope I don't jumble my writing style between each and keep my writing "fingerprint" unique for each class. To be able to do this I have to overcome my want to connect everything.

1 comment:

  1. I have definitely seen an improvement on the way you write from the start of last year to the end. This is especially true about the way in which you present your argument and the ranting issue.

    You'll be practicing appealing to emotions in this first essay. The personal essay may be tough because they rely on drawing on the readers' emotions.

    I think that you'll be able to adjust as the year goes on. We'll be reading examples of different writing to help you see some good examples of how to write. The more you read, the better you'll be at writing.

    10/10

    ReplyDelete