I've always been fascinated with essays with the language and fluidity that accompanies that. The writing must reflect what you're trying to convey. The thing about writing is that you don't always have to prepare, but rather it can be sporadic and easy to roll with. I try to develop complete thoughts when writing as well as write when I feel like writing. If you don't write when you want to, it may come out dry and distorted which is never an entertaining thing to read. My vocabulary is a tad bit more advanced but the problem comes when I try to convey the message across in a short and concise way. I tend to do more ranting than actually write with the elegance that's needed to come across as actually interesting. There is always improvement in vocabulary and basic writing skills to overcome the jagged writing style that I have adopted over the past few years.
I have little doubts that the portfolio could help but I hesitate to think that I may not reference or look at it next year or even at the end of the years. I hope to think that I could improve greatly over this next year, but again my pessimistic side takes over and shrouds with doubt. Any unit dealing with great historical reference will be entertaining to me, as culture has evolved so greatly it seems many have lost touch with their roots. I do have some issues with completely understanding the language used in the old days, but hopefully I'll develop a better understanding. Usually sub-plots and underlying themes go right over my head as well, so that could be an issue.
You're right that not all writing needs to be planned out ahead of time. It really depends on what sort of writing you're trying to do and who your audience is. As far as formal essays go, they are often best written with more consideration and planning. That's not to say that an essay can't be thrown down in one sitting, but the more effort put in the better the final product will turn out.
ReplyDeleteI agree that entertainment is an important aspect to writing. And I totally get the importance of the mood of the writer. I hope that through our discussions and practice with writing that you can find a way to write just as well when forced to. Not all writing in college is going to be exciting, but you have to make the best of it.
This is my first time really teaching a portfolio assignment, but I foresee some positives to the endeavor. Part of that assignment will be forcing you all to write ABOUT your writing. It's important to pay attention to the process rather than just throwing something together and forgetting about it. If it's something that you do look at down the road, then that's all the better.
As far as the reading goes, you'll learn quite a bit about American history alongside the literature. We'll be looking closely at literary time periods and the writing that reveals just how the events of the time affect the people of America.